Hardest NES game

All topics about retro consoles from the 2600 to the Dreamcast.
AtrociousToast
Lemming

Hardest NES game

Post by AtrociousToast » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:20 pm

I was curious, since there are a lot of hard NES games out there...what is the hardest? I mean, I know Battletoads, I know Snake Rattle n' Roll, and Battle Kid, but I don't know EVERY NES game. You can post a top 5, 10, or just the hardest one.

MYOLDVIDEOGAMES
Lemming

Re: Hardest NES game

Post by MYOLDVIDEOGAMES » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:42 pm

Two of the hardest for me were Goonies II and Gun Smoke but this also makes them some of my favorites. If the game is too easy it's just not as fun. Plus the game play us not too bad for those two games either.

Sharecrow
Cannon Fodder

Post by Sharecrow » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:34 pm

I think the hardest game I've played on the NES would be Ninja Gaiden III: The Ancient Ship of Doom. Wrecking Crew got pretty hairy as well but I think, in the end, Ninja Gaiden III was tougher.

Scoutinabox
Lemming

Post by Scoutinabox » Wed May 15, 2013 3:19 am

I'd have to say that Action 52 (I remember the christmas I got that... It still sits in its box, waiting to be played a 2nd time.) and Rolling Thunder were hard to me. I say Action 52 beacause it was horribly programmed, and Rolling Thunder just gave a pretty short amount of time, and had hard enemies, yet it was hard in a fun way. Those are my two picks.

SoupMaster
Lemming

Post by SoupMaster » Tue May 21, 2013 3:02 am

I know its SNES and not NES, but Contra 3 is with out a doubt the hardest game I've ever played! I beat it on an emulator, on easy, using save states, and assigning the backspace as rewind key so every time I died I could just go back in time 3 seconds. And it was STILL the hardest game I ever played!!! I'm no video game genius but still! I can't imagine how anyone possibly could beat that game in real life back in the day--and I was playing on easy! And yet there are people who can illegitimately beat it on hard!!!

SuperPimsky
Lemming

Post by SuperPimsky » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:27 pm

Hmmmm, Battletoads is pretty difficult. TMNT 1 is hard. Silver Surfer is ridiculous. But the cake has to go to Ghosts n' Goblins for me. You have to beat it twice to get the true ending, good luck with that.

:wall:

Vyothric
Helicopter Pilot

Post by Vyothric » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:31 pm

I just realised I can actually post in this thread now. When it was made I hadn't played any NES games. Completed 43 now.

I completed some of the more notoriously hard games mainly because of watching AVGN videos.

Ghosts 'n Goblins is extremely hard but the fact that you get unlimited continues means that you will complete it eventually.
TMNT is awkward for several reasons, including the fact that you don't get unlimited continues.
Bucky O'Hare is a very difficult game (I thought) that people don't seem to mention much (in regards to difficulty).
Castlevania 1 & 3 would also be right up there for me. That corridor with the medusa heads & knights, then having to fight Death...that took me ages to get past.
Silver Surfer can actually be mastered more easily than the others, it just takes patience.

Those are the hardest I think. Which is the hardest of those? I'm not really sure. They can all be pretty infuriating.

If I were to play any of them again, I'd probably be least confident about Castlevania....
Image Image
"He who Koops and runs away lives to Koop another day"

LoadingScreen
Lemming

Post by LoadingScreen » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:49 pm

For me it has to be Ghosts and Goblins. Those sodding Red Devils.

And whilst the game itself may not be particularly hard, the spiked wall level of the Death Star in Star Wars?

Let me tell you... :mad:

JoshDragon
Lemming

Post by JoshDragon » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:37 pm

I'd say Battletoads. That's easily the hardest game that I've played for any system.

EastCobbSnobb
Lemming

Post by EastCobbSnobb » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:41 am

Battletoads is tough. Even though this isn't a Genesis thread, I think Kid Chameleon is the toughest game all time. But for NES, Battletoads is a remarkably challenging game. I give it a shot from time to time, and I've never gotten consistent at getting past the Turbo Tunnel. I get to the last leg just fine, then the really fast part on the last leg takes a bunch of lives before I get past it.