Master System 2 21-pin RGB SCART

Got a new mod? Need help with something? Post here.
Vyothric
Helicopter Pilot

Master System 2 21-pin RGB SCART

Post by Vyothric » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:37 pm

Modded several Master System 2's before like this one. I always used to follow other guides pretty strictly so I used an MD1 style 8-pin din socket as was the common way to do it. Never really thought about why. Eventually I wondered - surely just putting a SCART connector in there would be better, right? No need to buy an expensive MD SCART lead or make yet another cable.

Here's how it turned out. Red, Green, Blue, Composite via 220uF caps & 75ohm resistors. C-Sync via 220uF cap and audio via 10uF.

I started this mod a while ago and had to leave it because I had a problem with the Master System I was using. I eventually got round to swapping the board and picked up where I left off (hence the change in the following pictures). Also, it took me a while to figure out exactly how I was going to have this all wired up so some other changes were made after this picture was taken.

Finished version. Just need to stick/glue the board down.

...and from the back:

Image Image
"He who Koops and runs away lives to Koop another day"

Nostalgic4games
Lemming

Re: Master System 2 21-pin RGB SCART

Post by Nostalgic4games » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:29 pm

Wow the Master System 2, the console that made me fall in love with gaming! It's name alone is Epic! Awesome the way the back looks now. Does this mod allow you to boost the picture quality beyond it's normal capabilities?

Vyothric
Helicopter Pilot

Post by Vyothric » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:58 pm

With the Master System 2 it's a bit more like restoration. The Master System 1 did have RGB output but this was removed in the cut-down Master System 2. By default the Master System 2 only outputs RF, which is the worst you can get. It still has the same video chip inside though, so it's just a matter of wiring it up.
Image Image
"He who Koops and runs away lives to Koop another day"

Nostalgic4games
Lemming

Post by Nostalgic4games » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:31 pm

I see :thumbsup: