Random free and liberated game findings

All other gaming related topics go here.
MrFlibble
00 Agent

Random free and liberated game findings

Post by MrFlibble » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:36 pm

I'm not aiming to create huge, comprehensive lists like those that can be found at Wikipedia, Liberated Games or Remain in Play, rather, just to document the various (and sometimes rather obscure) free and/or liberated game findings that could be of certain interest :)

Action Adventure Fighting First-Person Shooter Platform Game Puzzle Real-Time Strategy Role-Playing Game Shooter Space Combat Turn-Based Strategy Turn-Based Tactics

MrFlibble
00 Agent

Re: Random free and liberated game findings

Post by MrFlibble » Sun May 06, 2012 3:22 pm

Sango Fighter and Super Fighter
Sango Fighter and Super Fighter are two games that are rather typical for the Street Fighter II clone era which had been released, rather recently, as freeware after a company called Super Fighter Team obtained the rights to both games. Super Fighter Team also put their effort to provide proper English translations of the games, and made a few fixes here and there too.

The games were developed by different companies, but share a common history (the makers of Super Fighter filed a copyright lawsuit against Sango Fighter :)) besides a similarity in style that is characteristic of Street Fighter II clones.

Super Fighter website, screenshots and download
Sango Fighter website, screenshots and download

MrFlibble
00 Agent

Post by MrFlibble » Sat May 12, 2012 11:56 am

I of the Enemy: Ril'Cerat
I of the Enemy: Ril'Cerat is a free stand-alone prequel campaign to I of the Enemy, a 2004 indie oldschool science-fiction real-time strategy/tactics game. The prequel campaign, which serves as a kind of a "shareware" version of the game, is not included in the full version. A different demo of I of the Enemy is also available, which features the first five missions from the full version that take place sometime after the Ril'Cerat episode.
Download I of the Enemy: Ril'Cerat from Brothersoft Games
Download I of the Enemy: Ril'Cerat from FileForum
Download I of the Enemy demo from Softpedia
Download I of the Enemy demo from FilePlanet
Download I of the Enemy non-interactive tutorials add-on from FilePlanet (can be used both in the demo and the Ril'Cerat episode)

You can also download the manual for the game in Microsoft Word format from the official downloads page (Wayback Machine archived copy).

MrFlibble
00 Agent

Post by MrFlibble » Fri May 25, 2012 9:06 pm

Pyrrhic Tales: Prelude to Darkness
Pyrrhic Tales: Prelude to Darkness is a party-based 3D CRPG that was originally released in 2001 and had been made free to play for the general public since by the developers.
Pyrrhic Tales Official Website
Download Pyrrhic Tales: Prelude to Darkness v1.6

ShadowFlare: Episode One
This is a 2002 Western-type Action/RPG in the vein of Diablo series, however it had been developed by a Japanese company. Initially, all four episodes were sold, with only a demo of the game being available for free, but in 2003 the first episode was made free to download for the official website as a shareware episode.
ShadowFlare Official Website
Download ShadowFlare: Episode One

MrFlibble
00 Agent

Post by MrFlibble » Sat May 26, 2012 11:48 pm

Just stumbled upon this really huge (and frequently updated) database of free games of all flavours:
Megazell's Free And Legal PC Games List

Also has links to other free gaming websites.

MrFlibble
00 Agent

Post by MrFlibble » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:21 pm

A few nice gaming websites (mostly indie but not exclusively) with reviews, links and free/demo downloads:
ManifestoGames
Play This Thing!
Rampant Games

MrFlibble
00 Agent

Post by MrFlibble » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:50 pm

Just stumbled upon an apparently very obscure DOS first-person action/adventure game from 2000 made by a German programmer Florian Born that is called Desperabis. According to the game's home page (archived copy), the full game was released as freeware on December 17, 2000. I have not yet found any information regarding its distribution prior to that date (i.e. whether it was free or sold). Info on the game is rather scarce, but it does feature some decent graphics, judging by screenshots.

The full version can be downloaded here: DESPERA2.EXE

MrFlibble
00 Agent

Post by MrFlibble » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:17 pm

I think I haven't mentioned these two yet (although I fancy they are pretty well known):
Retro Remakes
Freeware Database - Retro Remakes

MrFlibble
00 Agent

Post by MrFlibble » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:14 pm

Iron Seed
This rather unusual sci-fi strategy game that had originally been released as shareware can be found at the official website of the original developers, who are now working on a remake:
Iron Seed Downloads and Manual
Latest game patches

Theseus - Return of the Hero
A follow-up of Alien Shooter with a different protagonist, and running on the same engine. The game was released for free by Sigma Team at some point, and is available from their website:
Download Theseus - Return of the Hero

MrFlibble
00 Agent

Post by MrFlibble » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:43 am

Legend of the Silver Talisman
Originally a shareware game inspired by Gauntlet, the full version of the Legend of the Silver Talisman was eventually released as freeware by the developers.
Download Legend of the Silver Talisman from Inter-Active Arts