Free alternatives to classic/well-known games

All other gaming related topics go here.
MrFlibble
00 Agent

Free alternatives to classic/well-known games

Post by MrFlibble » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:45 pm

Not long ago I've become interested in free games whose authors seem to consciously imitate well-known classics, or at least closely follow them in design. If a commercial game of this kind could be considered a "clone" (made to repeat the original's success on the market), freeware games usually aim for accurate recreation of the game's atmosphere and mechanics, as people behind them are more often that not dedicated fans of the originals.

Below is a list of such games that I've found so far. I've tried not to include projects that make use of copyrighted material (e.g. resources from the original game), or engine recreation projects that require original game files to play. There are also no free-to-play, play in your browser or multiplayer-only games.

1. Free content replacement for original engine/engine recreation

Battle Isle 2200 Doom Duke Nukem The Great Giana Sisters Half-Life Heretic Hexen: Beyond Heretic Panzer General II Quake Quake III: Arena RPGMaker Total Annihilation Transport Tycoon Deluxe Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness X-COM: Enemy Unknown 2. Freeware clones

A-Train Carrier Command Crayon Physics Crimsonland Dungeon Keeper Elasto Mania Elite Escape Velocity Guitar Hero Lemmings Master of Magic Microsoft Flight Simulator Minecraft OutRun Paratrooper Planet Defender RPGMaker Robot Odyssey Scorched Earth Secret Agent Sentinel The Settlers II: Veni, Vidi, Vici Sid Meier's Civilization II Sid Meier's Colonization SimCity Stunts Super Mario Bros. Super Mario Kart Transport Tycoon Deluxe Turrican Warlords Warlords II Wing Commander Wing Commander: Privateer Worms 3. Free games inspired by classic titles (not exact remakes)

Age of Empires Anno series Battle Isle 2200 Bos Wars, Command & Conquer: Red Alert BoulderDash, Emerald Mine, Supaplex, Sokoban Castle of the Winds, Ancient Domains of Mystery Castlevania series Celtic Legends, Heroes of Might and Magic, Civilization Command & Conquer series Dark Colony Descent Diablo Doom Doom, Quake etc. Dune II Earthworm Jim Empire Deluxe Frontier: Elite II Gradius, Castlevania, R-Type Grand Prix Legends Grand Theft Auto series Gun Half-Life: Counterstrike Heroes of Might and Magic series KKnD, StarCraft Lost Vikings Master of Magic Master of Orion Natural Selection Oxyd, Rock'n'Roll Populous Puzzle Bobble Quake III: Arena, Unreal Tournament R-Type Scorched Earth Sid Meier's Civilization II SimCity Star Wars: TIE Fighter, Descent: Freespace StarCraft Solar Fox Super Monkey Ball Turrican series Ultima series Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos Warsong, Master of Monsters Warlords II Wizardry VII X-COM: Enemy Unknown 4. Board game implementations

Diplomacy Risk Space Hulk Titan

WadePool
Cannon Fodder

Re: Freeware counterparts of classic/well-known games

Post by WadePool » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:42 pm

That is a solid list! Being a Linux guy I played a lot of Open Arena and hedgewars back in the day. Nexuiz was also a solid FPS. It is available on Steam and XBLA now but the Classic Version is still free and downloadable.
http://www.alientrap.org/games/nexuiz?

MrFlibble
00 Agent

Post by MrFlibble » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:30 pm

WadePool wrote:That is a solid list!
Heh, I'm afraid it could be a lot bigger if my game/genre preferences did not make it biased, but then again, I never aimed for a complete list of all possible "inspired by" games :)

I've heard about Nexuiz, and I think there's no surprise that so many Quake 3 Arena clones are out there :) Yet I'm not much into this type of games (in fact, I don't play online at all), and perhaps this was the reason I did not include it.

MrFlibble
00 Agent

Post by MrFlibble » Mon May 21, 2012 11:00 pm

Special Agent - a classic platform game inspired by Apogee's Secret Agent. Thanks to Scpm of 3D Realms Forums for mentioning this one! ^_^

BTW, I've checked up Nexuiz, it looks really awesome and professionally done :)

Puni/Void
Street Fighter

Post by Puni/Void » Thu May 24, 2012 8:05 am

Nice list! Thanks! :thumbsup:
Please feel free to visit my blog by clicking the link below.

http://oldschoolgameblog.com - Everything about retro gaming

MrFlibble
00 Agent

Post by MrFlibble » Fri May 25, 2012 4:21 pm

I've checked out both Nexuiz and Warsow (old builds of both since my slow PC probably won't run newer stuff decently).

BTW, I was a bit surprised to learn that Nexuiz actually uses the Quake engine (and not Quake II or 3). There must have been lots of improvements in the code though, as it requires a lot more resources than its "parent" game :) Also, it is my understanding that the Nexuiz project has evolved so much over time, that an updated Classic version is effectively a separate game compared to the "current" Nexuiz version.

MrFlibble
00 Agent

Post by MrFlibble » Fri May 25, 2012 8:56 pm

Knights of War - a trun-based strategy in a medieval setting that follows the footsteps of Heroes of Might and Magic series. There are no fantasy elements in this game though.

MrFlibble
00 Agent

Post by MrFlibble » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:54 pm

While not being freeware, these games are sure worth mentioning:

Laser Squad Nemesis - a game heavily reminiscent of the X-COM series, made by Julian Gollop who was the designer of both the original Laser Squad and X-COM.

Palm Kingdoms 2 Deluxe (a.k.a. Palm Heroes 2) - a sequel to what was originally a Heroes of Might and Magic remake for handhelds, now available on PC and Mac. The game has an uncanny visual resemblance to the original HoMM games, but uses custom graphics. There's a playable demo available .

MrFlibble
00 Agent

Post by MrFlibble » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:05 pm

Chaos Reborn is a remake of the old classic game Chaos by Julian Gollop.

MrFlibble
00 Agent

Post by MrFlibble » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:26 pm

Updated the list in the first post with some new links.